Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The New Job

The last two days have been interesting. I worked about 10 hours yesterday and 9 hours today. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday are the main exam days for seeing patients so they have to pack everyone in. Thursday and Friday are spent at the hospital with little kids who have to be knocked out completely for the dentist to be able to work on their teeth. So the dentist and his assistants are usually not actually in the office. Those days I only work like 5 hours each.
Yesterday, my first day, went differently than planned. About 12:30 the girl who was training me randomly quit. She had already put in her notice, but wasn't supposed to finish for another two weeks after I was trained (she is having a baby at the end of the month). But I guess something happened between her and the dentist, and so she quit. And left. The other person who is there to be in the front office is only there Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and then the Office Manager/ Collections guy has only been working for a month and was still in training. Crazy eh? Needless to say yesterday afternoon I was practically let loose and had to hold down the fort for 3 hours after learning the job for 5 hours. Not what I expected. It was especially ironic when I remembered I told the dentist during my interview that one thing I appreciate is being trained thoroughly. :)
Anyways, I like this job though. I get to speak Spanish often. I'm getting the hang of the regular tasks that need to be done with the patients. I just need to figure out more what my responsibilities are in between that. It will be fun. I just hope all the people there are patient with me as I try to learn everything partially on my own and without someone by my side for the first two weeks.
Well, that's that. Wish me luck! :)

1 comment:

  1. good luck!!! was thursday loads better then the past three days? I hope so. Love you

    ReplyDelete