Thursday, March 29, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent




So, I caved into Pinterest's persuasive ways and decided that I couldn't resist to try out making my own laundry soap. It was super easy, minus the fact that I overflowed the pot when I let it boil (next time I will half the batch and make it twice!). And, I think it's awesome! I've always been a cheapy when it comes to detergent. I usually buy the SUN brand that's like 7 bucks or something for a big jug. But now I will never go back! Because #1: Making this laundry soap is even exponentially cheaper and #2: it's waaaay better. Borox is one of the main ingredients you use to make it and I'm pretty sure that stuff is the cleaner of all cleaners. If you look on the back of the box it tells you all the things you can use it for. And the list is LONG! It cleans amazingly well. I just feel like our clothes have a lighter fresher feeling to them they didn't have before. I used THIS blog's recipe to make it. See for yourself . . . It's awesome!! And if you're more fancy than me you could use a more appealing bar of soap in the recipe to add extra scent or color. I just used Dial. :)

P.S. I also tried my own dishwasher detergent. Not a fan. It's not cheaper and it doesn't smell as good as my orange flavor kind anyways. The reason why it's not less expensive is because in order for your dishes to be residue free you have to use a rinse agent. So far I've seen the options are either a produce called Lemi-Shine (which works really well) or you can also use vinegar. BUT, for the amount of either one of those you have to use it would cost more that just buying the generic brand of regular dishwasher soap. Therefore, I have decided it's not for me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment